Re: Etch: No PCMCIA-drivers

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:18:28PM +0200, Theodor van Nahl wrote:

> I had installed etch with the net-boot-files on my laptop. The
> installation runs over the "low memory"-function.  On the first boot
> of my new etch on kernel 2.6.18-4-486 , i have to realise that there
> are no pcmcia-drivers installed on the system. The laptop is an
> Toshiba Portegé 3010ct without cd-rom-device. How can i install the
> pcmcia-drivers with the installation? Or better: how can i install the
> drivers on my running but very small system?

What do you mean by no drivers?  Does your stock kernel not have the
modules availabe?

Have you installed the pcmciautils package and read the documentation
that they install?

Do you have any networking or modem capability or do you _need_ pcmcia
for that?  If you box doesn't have built-in ethernet, does it have a
serial port?  If so, you may be in luck.  You can either connect a modem
to that port and use dial-up internet or you can connect a null-modem to
that port, connect it to another computer, and set up ppp or even just
use minicom with zmodem.

Another option is to fetch the pcmciautils package and transfer it by
sneaker net: usb stick, floppy, or something; its only 160k.  If none of
these methods work, let us know and we'll find some way to get the data
transfered if you tell us what connectors you have on that laptop.

Good luck,

Doug.