Re: advantages and disadvantages of local/lang en_CA.UTF-8?

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 06:33:58PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:

> US-ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, so any text written in US-ASCII is
> readable in LANG=C. But the English language can have characters beside
> the 7bit ASCII characters as well (e.g. ??). So you can???t say that the
> English language is 7bit-only.

If I view this in mutt after a LANG=C, of course I can't see your
accented character (its a ??).  Interesting that your "can't" is also
"can???t".  I wonder why your editor chose to use a unicode for "'".

OTOH, I've been writing english for 40 years and never needed an
accented character.  Sure, english is free and easy about incorporating
foreign words into the lexicon, but generally "anglosizing" them tends
to remove the accents.

Doug.