advantages and disadvantages of local/lang en_CA.UTF-8?

I'm in Candada speaking and writing english with a off-the-shelf North
American computer with a standard US keyboard.

Up until etch, lang was C and nothing was UTF.  What are the advantages
to me of etch setting a default language en_CA.UTF-8 and other locale
settings?  What are the disadvantages?

The only one I've hit so far is if I ssh into the box from a box that
doesn't have locales, I have to issue a LANG=C before I run mc or mutt.

Ideas?

Doug.