Re: please [no networking during netinst and corrupt iso]

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:26:13PM +0200, walter wrote:
> If I can't install from `netinst' I must try with 21 CDs!! or 3 dvd!! So
> I think including some free modules like rt2500 or the kernel source and
> gcc in netinst will help a big number of posible future debian users who
> perhaps will persuade hardware vendors opening the source.

I don't think including sources and everything on netinst would make
netinst.iso useful for most since it would be too big.

If you can't use netinst.iso because you can't get networking to work
during the install, then you only need the first full binary CD
(bin-1.iso).  This one CD lets you install a fully functional base
system which includes the kernel, an editor, your shell, and the normal
basic tools.  Since you can't seem to get networking to work during the
install, don't have the installer try to get anything from the internet.
Just install the base system.

Once you have that installed, you have full easy access to the system to
work on getting your networking set up, and easy access to the error
messages if you run into problems.

Download your bin-1.iso and the md5sums file and verify the md5sum of
the iso.  Burn the iso to a disk (note: do not treat the iso like any
file and archive it to CD so that you see one .iso file when you mount
the CD).  Verify the burn.

Once you have the CD, then you have the installation manual, README,
release notes, and all tools you may need to get the install going.

If you have problems between now and when you get the basic install
finished, reply to this thread so we can all follow along and help you.
Provide exact error messages and relavent lines from syslog whenever
possible.

We're here to help.  Good luck.

Doug.