SV: please

walter [roquesor@gmail.com] wrote:

> If I can't install from `netinst' I must try with 21 CDs!! or 3 dvd!! So
> I think including some free modules like rt2500 or the kernel source and
> gcc in netinst will help a big number of posible future debian users who
> perhaps will persuade hardware vendors opening the source.

> > > It's ironic how easy is downloading private software with its cracks and
> > > so difficult or imposible getting free software

I am jumping into this thread, but it seems walter has had the same problem I had when I first dicided to install Debian on my laptop. I had a limited bandwidth connection, and next to no knowledge about Debian, and did not want to wait a week for a mail-order dvd.

My laptop has an Atheros wireless nic, and that is one of the producers that are scared about giving competitors any information, or about being sued for some patent violation.

(A digression: I do not suggest they are actually violating any patents. The patent system has become burdened with an enormus number of undefensible patents on both the most utterly obvious, and on solidly documented prior art. Even if Atheros were to win most of the lawsuits, they could be running a considerable risk due to the low quality of the judges, and their tendency to let the parties carry their own expenses if there was the slightest doubt that the complaint was unfounded.)

I solved it in the end, with some pain, by downloading the necessary basic packages from packages.debian.org (actually a mirror), using windows.  I can't remember much of the details, but I think I started with the network installation CD, and rebooted into windows each time I discovered I was missing something else.  I also had a problem with the sound card that generated so many error messages thet the dmesg buffer became flooded, and there seemed to be no way to find out what had happened during boot before the sound card was activated.  I downloaded single packages and installed them using "dpkg -i file.deb" until I could recompile a kernel where the particular error message had been silenced.

However, once I got the network running, downloading and installing packages became veery easy. I use Synaptic, search for the package I need, click to mark for installation, and click apply. Even locating and downloading windows programs from Tucows was no easier! I don't even have to reboot, unless I have installed a new kernel.

Regards.