Re: LNE100TX lan card detected as eth2

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 21:14:59 -0400, Charles Roberts wrote:
> system: etch
> I installed a new lan card(Linksys model LNE100TX). The system detected it
> and installed the tulip module but the network was not working. I executed
> "ifconfig -a" and it showed the new lan card as eth2 ( the mac address was
> the new lan card) . It should have been eth0.
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules also showed the new lan card as
> eth2 instead of eth0. By switching eth0 and eth2 around I was able to get
> the network to work again.
>
> Is this a bug?

Do you have an eth1 device in your computer? (This can also be a
firewire port, for example.) If you do then it is normal for udev to
choose the next free device name, i.e. eth2.

Or do you ask this question because you expected that the new card would
become eth0 automatically? (In that case I am assuming that you removed
the old card before you put in the new one.) To me it seems more
sensible that udev does not mess with existing rules - after all, the
administrator might have customized them - but that is certainly a
matter of personal taste. Keep in mind, though, that changing names of
network interfaces have been a source of problems when the system
reboots during installation, therefore it is not too surprising if udev
first and foremost tries to maintain consistency in the assignment of
device names to mac addresses.

> Is this the correct way to get my network working again?

Yes, it is. If you know that you will never use the old card again then
you can comment out or even delete the obsolete rule. It should do no
harm if you leave it in the file, though.

          Florian   |