Re: Problem sasl2-sql.

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:53:27PM +0300, Semih Gokalp wrote:
> Hi,I asked this question to postfix groups before send here but nobody
> answered so if not problem,i want to ask to debian groups.
>
> i have configured server with postfix and courier imap.Both of
> using mysql support and postfix is using libsasl2-modoules-sql for
> authentication.

OK.

> courier-imap works normally with sql.I have a problem postfix with
> sasl2-sql authentication.
>
> I have installed libsasl2-modules-sql,libsasl2-modules and postfix-
> mysql and configured /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf like below:
>
> pwcheck_method: auxprop
> auxprop_plugin: sql
> mech_list: plain login cram-md5 digest-md5
> sql_engine: mysql
> sql_hostnames: 127.0.0.1
> sql_user: <sqluser>
> sql_passwd: <password>
> sql_database: mail
> sql_select: SELECT <field> FROM <table> WHERE email='%u@%r'

Hmm.  Looks right.

> password field type of encrypt that store user account password on
> mysql database.when i change password field type from encrypt to text
> on mysql database,authentication is ok,i can send mail.

Is encrypt a MySQL data type?  I run my mail user authentication on
PostgreSQL (but I have postfix use courier-authdaemon instead of SQL
directly) and I have the password field set to "VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL".
Everything seems to work fine with that.

> I tried change authenticaton type and configured digiest-md5,cram-md5
> and login but not works,while password field type is encrypt
>
> when i use password field type encrypt on mysql database,i have a
> fallowing warning:
>
> postfix/smtpd[1786]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password
> verification failed
> postfix/smtpd[1786]: warning: unknown[ z.z.z.z]: SASL PLAIN
> authentication failed: authentication failure
>
> In short,dont work sasl2-sql authentication,while password field type is
> encrypt.
>
> What can i do for solve this problem while i use encrypt for password
> field type ?

When the type is set to text, is the password stored in plain text or is
it hashed somehow?  What about for encrypt?  Also, for encrypt, how is
the password stored?  Also, is your connection to Postfix over SSL or
TLS?  I seem to recall that PLAIN authentication will only work over SSL
or TLS since it is not secure (as in, I think Postfix will refuse it).

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez