Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Thursday 31 May 2007 16:43, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/31/07 08:26, Nigel Henry wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Hi Ed. Its probably worth trying http://www.co.uk/radio4
>
> Of course, what you *really* mean is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA

Yeh. Sorry. Unintentional typo, and on my way cycling down to my local town I
realised I'd forgotten to say that installing the downloaded version of
realplayer to /usr/local needs to be done as root.

It's getting bad. 2 blunders on one posting.

I don't know if anyone else has had problems with the realplayer version from
Debian-multimedia. I checked in synaptic for installed files, and there are a
bunch of links for nphelix.so, and nphelix.xpt in various files.
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/nphelix.so  (same for nphelix.xpt)
/usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/nphelix.so   (as above)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nphelix.so                   (as above)
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/nphelix.so       (as above)

But no links in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins for nphelix.so, and nphelix.xpt.

I'm reasonably sure that I had problems with realplayer from
Debian-multimedia, which would explain why I also installed the one from
real.com, which has always worked ok.

It's interesting that the link in /usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6 for
nphelix.so , and .xpt goes like this.
nphelix.so->../../mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so Shared Library (Link)
nphelix.xpt->../../mozilla/plugins/nphelix.xpt Unknown (Link)

I don't understand where they are pointing to. What does the ../../ signify?

I'm not knocking Christian's package, but just couldn't get it to work for
some reason or other.

Nigel.