Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Thursday 31 May 2007 03:07, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 06:00, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> > tshepang@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi, all I want to do is listen to radio 2 (sad I know).
> > > I am unable to find any way of doing this with out
> > > using RealPlayer, which is very hard to do as unable to
> > > find one that I can down load and use on debian.
> >
> > I can listen to it by just clicking on the "listen" link at
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2, using the realplayer package; this is
> > not standard Debian, but you can get it if you put in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> I click on the "listen" link and nothng happens.  The embedded player
> says "stopped" and the standalone just sits there.  I have Realplayer 10:
>
> realplayer:
>   Installed: 10.0.8-0.1
>   Candidate: 10.0.8-0.1
>
> Any ideas, hints, pointers, etc appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi Ed. Its probably worth trying http://www.co.uk/radio4

From what I understand it is the only one still on analogue, whereas the
others, Radio1, Radio2, Radio3, have moved over to digital.

Also, interrupting my diatribe, open Firefox/Iceweasel, and type
about:plugins, so as to see which plugins are being loaded.

Again, my understanding is that the analogue ones were streaming using
realplayer, and Radio4 still is. But the digital ones are now streaming using
WMA, which would require you also installing the following.

Mplayer
w32codecs
Mozilla-mplayer   (which gives you mplayerplug-in)

If you find that Radio4 does work ok with your realplayer plugin, it would at
least confirm what I say above. When you install the above packages, the
mp[layerplug-in comes with a bunch of plugins, including a rm (realmedia
one). You don't want 2 realplayer plugins, and I found that the one included
in mplayerplug-in didn't work too well as it's older.

What I do is to rename the one installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins by
mplayerplug-in to something else. I just added .old to both the .so, and
the .xpt file for the realmedia (rm) one.

What I say above about the analogue, and digital stations above may not apply.
I say this, as I use Opera for listening to the bbc, as well as Firefox, and
Opera needs quite a lot of extra configuring to use the mplayerplug-in, and I
havn't bothered with that, and yet Radio2 is playing ok at the mo, and bbc
radioplayer on Opera for Radio2, does say "Listen Live Real Player"

Let me start again, as I'm not sure about realplayer 10.0.8-0.1 from
debian-multimedia. I've got it installed on Etch, but have also installed
RealPlayer10Gold.bin in /usr/local, which I get direct from
http://www.real.com/linux/ . I normally install Realplayer in this way, by
the way, but probably installed the one from debian-multimedia to see if it
worked ok. Perhaps it didn't, and is why I've also installed the other one
in /usr/local.

Check in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to see if nphelix.so , and nphelix.xpt are
there. They , in my case are links
to /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so , and .xpt

If they arn't there, I'd remove the realplayer from debian-multimedia, and dl
the one direct from the real.com site, and install that.

To install.
Go to the directory where you dl'd it, and in the files
properties>permissions, check the executable box.

Now in a terminal, cd to the directory, and type.
./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
Enter
set the path where you want to put it. I put it in /usr/local/RealPlayer. Dont
forget the Realplayer bit, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of files
in /usr/local.
Enter
Yes to system wide sym links
Enter, and Enter again on the next line
F to finish install

You should now have the symlinks for the 2 nphelix files
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

If you are using Firefox/Iceweasel provided by the Debian repo, the bbc site
should work now.

Let me know how you get on, sorry if you already know about the install stuff
above, and for the analogue/digital rambling, which probably doesn't apply.

Nigel.