Re: Making Deb Packages

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 03:28:37PM +0300, Chaim Keren-Tzion wrote:

> On Thursday 31 May 2007 14:39:36 Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 02:22:35PM +0300, Chaim Keren Tzion wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How do I get started making my own debian package files from source.
> >
> > The definitive resource of this is probably
> >     http://www.debian.org/devel
> > starting at:
> >     http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
> >
> > > I need to use non-debian source, ie. a spanking new ffmpeg source from
> > > svn.
> >
> > Since ffmpeg has been debianized already, you should be able to save a
> > *LOT* of time by looking at the .diff for the existing package and using
> > that for yours.
> >
> > If you want a newer version of ffmpeg than is in Debian, you may want to
> > look at www.debian-multimedia.org - they should have a later version of
> > ffmpeg already debianized.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Where can I find the ".diff" file?
>
> My main reason for recompiling is that I need to add support for other codecs
> and libraries.

If you just need to recompile it with different options (i.e. same
upstream version of ffmpeg), then simply download it :-)

    $ cd /tmp
    $ apt-get source ffmpeg

This only works if you have the necessary 'deb-src' lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list. If not, then copy the existing lines and replace
'deb' with 'deb-src' (in the *copied* lines), followed by "apt-get
update".

Obviously, for rebuilding it, you'll need all of the relevant build-time
dependencies install (which is different from the run-time
dependencies). This should take care of that:
    # apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
    # apt-get build-dep ffmpeg
If you want to add other codecs, you'll probably need to install bits
for those codecs too.

Then you can change the source code to your hearts content (sounds like
you're want to modify the call to ./configure in debian/rules) and run:
    $ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
or
    $ fakeroot debian/rules binary
to rebuild.