apt_preferences: avoiding Etch [solved]

I want to set up my apt/preferences so that I don't get Etch. However, I do want to be able to see what is in Etch in aptitude. So far, this has worked to keep Etch packages off my Sarge system:

------/etc/apt/preferences-------
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: -1
---------------------------------

However, my Sarge CDROMs are also excluded by this rule because Sarge was stable when I got them. After reading "man apt_preferences," I got the idea that I could exclude packages from release 4.0 like so:

-----/etc/apt/preferences--------
Package: *
Pin: release 4.0
Pin-Priority: -1
---------------------------------

But this is wrong because the release version "number" is actually treated as text. I checked my copies of the Release files in /var/lib/apt/lists/, and the version for the Etch release is specified as 4.0r0.

So I have to do this to pin it right:

-----/etc/apt/preferences--------
Package: *
Pin: release 4.0r0
Pin-Priority: -1

And to guard against Etch point releases, I can change it to this:

-----/etc/apt/preferences--------
Package: *
Pin: release 4.0*
Pin-Priority: -1

IOW, the problem is solved; I'm just giving people a heads up.