Re: Opening 300MB sent mail file

On 2007-05-30, george@georgesbasement.com <george@georgesbasement.com> wrote:
> What's a workable method of opening a 300MB file that I saved
> several years ago ?  It's from Mozilla's email client, and it
> was an unorganized Sent Mail file.  It's one huge concatenated
>
> Are there any debian app's which can handle this file ?
>
> It appears to be plain text ... with embedded jpg's and pdf's
> of course.

It is plain text, in mbox format I think. It is the same format
used by mutt, and gnus can also work with it. I don't know about the
maximum file size for those programs though. Any text reader/editor
can potentially open it, if it's not too big. If nothing else, less
should work, maybe. I'm assuming the embedded images will just come
out as garbage.

As a plain text file you can cut it into pieces using standard command
line tools like head and tail - with some experimenting you could hack
it into 5 or 10 pieces and work with it that way. I've done this on
occassion with files that were bigger than the maximum emacs buffer
size.

HTH,

Tyler