Re: console keymap and console-setup

Tyler Smith(tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca) is reported to have said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little confused as to how to set my console keymap. I've got a
> custom keymap that suits me, and running
>
> loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/custom.kmap
>
> gets it installed and running just fine. I tried to modify
> /etc/init.d/keymap.sh to load it automatically, but this fails. I
> think it's because I've got console-setup / setupcon loaded. I looked
> through the readme for console-setup, but it's not clear to me if I
> need to put my custom keymap somewhere special, or if I can just point
> to it from a config file. Google points to some conflicting advice,
> mostly on account of the switch from keymap.sh to console-setup I
> think.

I have used a custom keymap for many years (based a very early issue of
a Linux Gazette article) and it works fine until console-tools gets
updated.  Here's how I do it

in .bash_profile

echo Loading Custom Keys...
loadkeys ~/new-us.map > /dev/null 2>&1

As I use the Num keypad to switch consoles, and notice that they quit
working, after an upgrade, all I have to do to get my keypad back is
. .bash_profile.  Note that I keep my custom keymap in /root so it
doesn't get corrupted when updating.

HTH=Hope This Helps, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary, HAND=Have A Nice Day

Wayne

--
Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach. Those who cannot teach,
HACK!