Re: Aptitude updating Sarge to Etch?

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 11:21:10PM +0200, dcorking <lists@dcorking.com> was heard to say:
> Since "Etch" became "stable" on April 8, is it possible that aptitude
> updated many packages from Sarge to Etch for Jan?

  It's possible.

> The first time I read /usr/share/doc/packages/aptitude/README, I understood
> (probably incorrectly) that aptitude should not do this.

  aptitude will do what you tell it to do.  It reads
/etc/apt/sources.list to decide where it should look for packages and
upgrades.  If you have a deb line like:

    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main

  then aptitude will always upgrade you to the current "stable" release,
whatever it is; when a new release is put out, aptitude will see a whole
bunch of new versions of packages and try to get you in sync with them.

  In general, you should use the name of the release instead, e.g.

    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main

  Daniel