Re: finding files from archives: where?

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:29:42PM +0800, Augustin wrote:
> I am a would-be new debian user (using Mandriva now).
>
> I will try to install from the hard disk (can't burn cds).
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s05.html.en
> Above, they write:
>
> ""
> Copy the following files from the Debian archives to a convenient location on
> your hard drive, for instance to /boot/newinstall/.
> - vmlinuz (kernel binary)
> - initrd.gz (ramdisk image)
> ""
>
> The problem is that I can't figure out where to get those files from.
> I tried both search boxes, to no avail:
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.en-gb.html#search_packages
>
> (trying to install stable/i386).

As was pointed out, since you're running a *NIX already you don't have
to use the hd-media method.  However, if you want to, note that you are
not looking for packages but installation media. They're available from
the same place as the cd images.

You may want to consider, though, that to use debootstrap you should
have a spare partition so that you don't hose your old system.  If the
install should fail for some reason you want to have _something_ that
works so you can troubleshoot.

If you can't burn CDs, consider using the hd-media with a USB stick.
This is what I did to install on my new box when my old one couldn't
burn CDs.  It works great.

Doug.