Re: The previous nonsense

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 06:41:58PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> On 5/21/07, S C <ojieurojsc@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> >It's better, I'm awake now.

> "How can I initialize an unformatted cd so that it can be used, i.e. written
> >to?"
>

> I've never had to initialize an unformatted CD; that's just an automagic
> part of the burn process in my experience (limited, granted).

There are tools that automate the steps of burning data onto a CD. The formatting
is hidden in the tools. FYI, the tools mostly just call two programs, mkisofs and
wodim. mkisofs writes a file on harddisk that contains an image of a CD with both
format bits and data bits. wodim copies this image onto the physical CD. (wodim
is an upgrade of an earlier program called 'cdrecord'. Use wodim. It is an official
part of Debian. You will get Debian appropriate support here if you have problems.

Or use whatever is in KDE or Gnome and let it sweat the details.

> Searching this lists archive for the past year will turn up a lot of
> information about many topics. If that doesn't find your answer (and general
> Googling fails you also), posting here is probably your best bet.

Google provides an 'advanced' feature that allows you to restrict a search to
a specifid web site. I use it to do a Google search of lists.debian.org, debian.org,
and the whole web, all from the same interface.

Be wary of non-Debian info on the web. It often contains 'mandatory' steps that are
not needed in Debian, because the install process of Debian is so robust. Use the
info., but with caution.

-- Paul E Condon pecondon@mesanetworks.net