How to debug "error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon."?

Hi all.

I have a fresh Etch install on a Thinkpad T21 (x86 - 686). Two things to note:

a) I use a network install to just put the base system on, then I add
xorg, then I add gnome-core.

b) I uncheck aptitude's "install recommended packages automatically"
to get a "lean" machine.

Everything works perfectly except for one (major) problem: when I run
startx at the command prompt, I get a dialog box that says:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon. Some things,
such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.
The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was: System exception:
IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0 : Child process did not give an error
message, unknown failure occurred. GNOME will still try to restart the
Settings Daemon next time you log in."

Unfortunately, I'm not too good at understanding all this
lib-gnome/bonobo stuff, so I'm stuck for what to do next.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Jaime :-)