Re: Upgrade sarge

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 10:46:22PM -0400, John Fleming wrote:
> Inexperienced question - I'm running Sarge, with newer ClamAV from
> volatile and newer SpamAssassin from backports.  When I'm ready to
> upgrade to Etch, I assume I don't need the backports and volatile
> entries in sources.list?  Will ClamAV and SA get upgraded as part of
> the upgrade to Etch, or is this more complicated now because the
> versions I am using are from volatile and backports?

The answer is (of course) "it depends."

As a matter of policy, Debian does not officially support upgrades with
third party packages.  There would be far too many combinations of
packages.  In general, however, upgrading with backported packages works
out just fine.

If the versions in Etch are newer than your volatile and backports
versions, then everything will happen automatically.  If you have done
anything non-standard (like pinning), then things can get more
complicated.

Regards,

-Roberto
--