Re: CLI tools for checking out CDROM drive

On Sunday 27 May 2007 18:43, Joe Hart wrote:

> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I've got a Sony CD-RW CRX230E on this machine, which until recently
> > appeared to be working ok. Now I'm getting a "No Media Found" when trying
> > to mount a data CD. When I first noticed this, I tried an audio cd, and
> > that played ok, but now I find that the cdplayer just says "no disc".
> > Neither can I boot live cd's now, even though the cdrom is first to boot
> > from.
> >
> > The drive is detected in the BIOS as master on IDE1, which is correct,
> > and dmesg shows that it's there on IRQ15, and KDE's info lists a load of
> > different stuff about the drive.
> >
> > I havn't changed the cable yet, just unplugged, and replugged it from
> > both ends. When I put a disc in the green light comes on for a bit, and
> > there is a touch of HD activity, and another couple of flickers of the
> > light.
> >
> > Is there some CLI tool in Debian Etch, or Lenny that I can use to
> > thoroughly check out the cdrom drive?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions, including telling me that the darned thing
> > has died.
>
> I don't know if this will help you or not, but keep in mind that the
> Linux kernel treats all devices like files, so you can just open a
> terminal and cd to the CD (pun).  Usually it will be /media/cdrom which
> is a symlink to /media/cdrom0.  In older systems it was always
> /mnt/cdrom, but whatever it is, it doesn't really matter.  Can you ls
> the files on the data cd by doing:
>
> ls /media/cdrom

That won't work, as I can't mount the drive.

> ?
>
> It seems to me that if the drive can play audio CD's then it *should* be
> able to read data CD's too.

As I said. When I first found that it wouldn't mount data cdroms, I then tried
a music cd, and that worked ok, but today I had another go at this problem,
and now, neither can I mount data cdroms, or play music cd's.

Sadly I think that the drive has gone down the tubes.

> Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe.

Nigel.