Re: reliable wifi manager for gnome

Micha Feigin wrote:
> [...]
>
> I have one of those, the problem is connecting to it, and at the moment I am
> more worried about reliably connecting, I'll worry about encryption once that
> is solved.

Configuring the wireless interface with the command line (wireless-tools
package) is straightforward. Modify your /etc/network/interfaces file. I use
network 192.168.1.0 with the Access Point (wifi/modem/router) at 192.168.1.1. If
you use Gnome Network Administration Tool (Desktop -> Administration ->
Networking) it will modify this file for you. My handwritten file looks like this:

	# The loopback network interface
	auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback

	# The primary network interface
	#allow-hotplug eth0
	#iface eth0 inet static
	#address 192.168.1.4
	#netmask 255.255.255.0
	#network 192.168.1.0
	#broadcast 192.168.1.255
	#gateway 192.168.1.1

	# wireless interface
	iface wlan0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.3
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.1.1
	wireless-essid my-network-id
	wireless-key NNNNNNNNNN

	auto wlan0
	allow-hotplug wlan0

I commented out my ethernet interface (eth0) when everything was working to make
sure that the computer always uses the wireless interface. It was a problem if
the signal was too weak to be picked up continuously.

Leave out "wireless-key NNNNNNNNNN" until you have a working connection. Then
add it in and configure encryption on your AP.

"allow-hotplug wlan0" lets you hotswap the pcmcia card and get an automatic
connection while the computer is running.

Commands to get you started are

	"iwconfig" (to check/configure the interface)
	"iwlist wlan0 scan" (to check for the wireless AP)
	"ifdown eth0" and "ifup wlan0" to take down/bring up the interface
	"/etc/init.d/networking stop", "/etc/init.d/networking start" to restart
network service

You may need to add nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf. Mine looks like this:

	domain home
	#nameserver 192.168.1.1
	nameserver 208.67.222.222
	nameserver 208.67.220.220

These are the OpenDNS nameservers. If you have set up DHCP on your modem/router
then use the commented-out line instead of the last two. Test with something
like "ping bbc.co.uk".

Do let the list know when you have everything working :).

Good luck.

--
Chris.