Re: reliable wifi manager for gnome

On Sat, 26 May 2007 10:34:32 +0100
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I am looking for a reliable wifi manager for gnome for my dad (I'm
> > comfortable enough with the command line and fvwm).
> >
> > I tried using the installed NetworkManger Applet but it doesn't seem to
> > setup things properly, in manual mode after I plug in the usb wifi thingy I
> > need to do ifdown wlan0 followed by a ifup wlan0 and it will sometimes
> > work. In roaming mode it doesn't set the wep key at all.
> >
> > I am trying to convert my dad to linux and proper wifi is kind of the main
> > must.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> You could try wlassistant [1], wifiradar, Gnome network tools (Applications ->
> System Tools -> Network Tools), Gnome Network Administration Tool (Desktop ->
> Administration -> Networking).

Thanks, I'll have a look at them

> Some wifi drivers ave their own admin tools. Eg for the Ralink chipset (eg
> Edimax cards) the driver package is RT2500-source and the tools package is
> RT2500. However, if you install the RT2500 package you will not be able to use
> the standard tools like iwconfig etc.

Works fine for me on another usb stick although I am using rt73 at the moment
since rt2x00 doesn't work with this stick. rutilit is nice though

> You might consider using a broadband modem/router/wifi combined appliance. I
> use a Philips SNA6500 which has built-in NAT and firewall. It also has the
> option to enable or reject wireless clients on the basis of their MAC
> address. So, even if WEP is cracked you are still secure.

I have one of those, the problem is connecting to it, and at the moment I am
more worried about reliably connecting, I'll worry about encryption once that
is solved.