typo3 safe mode error

Hello.  I'm using Debian Etch.  I successfully installed typo3,
via aptitude.  I have mysql installed, and it works (I use it
with gallery2 without a problem).  However, when I try to run the typo3
install tool, entering my username and password for the mysql database,
I got the following:

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect

It also frequently tells me that "No values were changed, so nothing is
updated!"  php.ini file indicates that safe mode is off.  So, I find
this confusing.

How do I overcome this?

Thanks,

Mark

ps, I did first submit a posting to the typo3 mailing list, but there
doesn't seem to be anyone on it.