Re: disk temp monitoring

<posted & mailed>

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> If the drive has S.M.A.R.T. you can monitor drive temp directly; also
> see hddtemp package.
> Keep in mind that spinning up a disk causes wear on the drive.
I'll try,

> Lots of things can get hot especially if they're not working right;
> things like power supplies (yes the MB has voltage regulators), and
> display drivers.
> What kind of filesystems and what mount options?

ext3

> Keep in mind that most acpi daemons opt to give better performance when
> on AC power rather than battery.  This could be an issue for you.

So, what are the option that you suggest: performance or 'on demand' ?
By the way, how would you the the 'cpu throttle'?

> Checkout the packages laptop-mode-tools and noflushd.
> Your ear should tell you if the disk is spinning.
> Can you localize where in the laptop the heat is; where does it feel
> hottest?

i have just checked. It i near the disk, but it seems not quite centered
at that place.

> Are the fan(s) running at the correct speed?  Are the vents clear?  On
> what surface is the laptop sitting?

I keep it at about 5cm from the ground, just to not overheat, but it
shuts down anyway.

> What about an external laptop cooler (a cold pad that it sits on)?

it would be my last resort, but what when i am travelling?
Morever i woudl like to undersand what is happenening to my laptop

thank you

--
Pol