[fairless@ieee.org: Re: Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)]

----- Forwarded message from Gayle Lee Fairless <fairless@ieee.org> -----

From: Gayle Lee Fairless <fairless@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 23:27:09 -0500
To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)

On 05/25/07 11:32, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote (portions deleted):

<--<snip>-->

>> The 1.1 USB slot on the 200Mhz 770 has worked with 2 different USB
>> Wireless dongles. The pcmcia slots on that one are NG. I also found
>> a Belkin USB-> Ethernet dongle that works also.
>NG => No Good?

>Are you saying that yours happened to be No Good, or, in general, are
>these PCMIA slots so old as to be useless altogether?

The pcmcia slots _did_ work for a week or two.  Got it used from Ebay
so I probably was luckey they worked for that long

>I have a U.S.Robotics 100 Mbps 802.11g Wireless Turbo PC Card --USR5410--
>with an installation CDROM (probably intended mainly for Windows).
>I have a Belkin F5D7050 USB Wireless Adapter - 54 Mbps, 802.11g, USB 2.0
>on order from Tigerdirect.
>Do you know which one would work? Or if both work, which one is better?

Not really.  As I don't run Winbloz, I googled for Wireless adapters
that ran on Linux, then if the drivers were running on Debian, then
the driver info itself.  I found that the Madwifi software worked on
many many cards and seems to have the most versitle software, I went
and picked a few from their compatability list
<http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatability>.  They, as of now, do not
support any USB adapters.  I have NetGear CardBus and PCI cards and a
DLink PCI card running with MadWifi.

I have had some success running USB adapters on the 770's.  By far the
easiest, so far, was a real cheap (< $18) I found on Ebay.  It is an
Ashton Digital WRUB-2011i with a Prism2 chipset.  It uses the
linux-wlan-ng drivers, supported by Debian of course.  Another is also
working, but not with Kismet (darn it), is quite unique.  It is a USB
dongle or minicard mounted on the mast of a 17 element, +24dbi gain
yagi antenna. It comes with a 15 foot cable terminated with a USB
connector.  The driver is zd2111 which is on Debian, of course. This
is a nice setup as there is no lossy feedline to contend with.  I have
used it with USB Repeater cables 60 feet from the laptop and it works
great.  Two other USB adapters are somewhat working but not able to
connect to an AP.  The drivers are still being developed.  So in
short, other then the above 2 USB adapters, PCMCIA/CardBus seem to be
the way to go the the 770's.

>Once I can get a reasonably fast Internet connection, I would like to
>use a network install CDROM for Debian Etch. Although I have two (one
>from 16 months ago and one from late last year), I probably need the
>latest one from the official Etch stable. Right?

Right.  The newest netinstall iso would be preferable.

>From what has been previously been said, I probably need to try xfce or
>one of the light weight window managers. Since I'm used to KDE and
>Windows, this is probably another thread! Some hints on the installation
>choices might be helpful!

I am a command line person.  I don't need a lot of glitz in windows.
I used wmaker for a while but have settled on fluxbox.  Lightweight
and it doesn't get in my way.  I run some KDE and Gnome Apps but find
it easier to get things running without X apps.  The screens on the
770 will only do 1024x768 so the less clutter the better. JMHO.

Hope this helps you get Connected.

Oh, you might try to respont to mail, on this list anyway, one at a
time instead of 4 posts in one mail.  I very nearly did not respond to
this mail because I did not see anything sent to me.  Check the
quoting style in the other posts.  Most of the mail programs used here
quote the previous messages so it is easy to understand.  The quoting
style of this (your) message was, well, different to say the least.

Best Regards

Wayne