Re: limiting monthly network traffic

srg wrote:
tc is the tool to control bandwidth.
To view bandwidth usage you can use ntop

Regards

On Saturday 26 May 2007 06:10, cls@truffula.sj.ca.us wrote:
[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]

I'm moving my colocated Debian server to a place with
high overage charges.  My network link will carry
about 200x my bandwidth allocation for the month.
The new bandwidth allocation is about 8x what I've been using.
But if I get slashdotted and have a 10x month, it will
cost too much.
What's the Debian way to monitor total network traffic
and throttle down if I get too near the monthly limit?

Thanks

Cameron

This doesn't give the answer you were looking, but I am using wondershaper on my home router (old machine running Debian Testing) to do bandwidth shaping (no limiting, however). The wondershaper script may get you started.

Also:
$> apt-cache search traffic bandwidth
cbm - display the current network traffic in colors
ibod - ISDN MPPP bandwidth on demand daemon
iftop - displays bandwidth usage information on an network interface
iprelay - User-space bandwidth shaping TCP proxy daemon
iptotal - monitor for IP traffic, not requiring SNMP
jnettop - View hosts/ports taking up the most network traffic
kernel-patch-wrr - Extension to traffic Control/network bandwidth management
libapache-mod-iptos - Modify IPTOS bits on outbound data for fine-tuned traffic shaping
nethogs - Net top tool grouping bandwidth per process
nload - A realtime console network usage monitor
pmacct - promiscuous mode traffic accountant
redir - Redirect TCP connections
shapecfg - Bandwidth limiter for virtual network interfaces
shaper - Traffic shaper init script (cbq.init) for Linux
zorp - An advanced protocol analyzing firewall

->HS