Mike Capture not working in Debian Testing/Creative Live Soundblaster

I'm running Debian Testing and the mike capture recently stopped working.
The card is a Creative Soundblaster Live.
The problem is that the system will not allow any app to get mike audio.
On the other hand I *can* get mike audio through the card if I switch on the
mixer monitor.
I tried setting things with Alsamixer, but no go.
The sound system in the  kernel (Debian 2.6.18-K7) is Alsa.

does anyone knoow a fix?
Thanks
--
If you wrestle in the mud with a pig,
you both get dirty and the pig likes it.