Re: Really slow xterm

* Thomas Dickey (dickey@saltmine.radix.net) wrote:

> scrolling is one place to measure, but there are several (font choice
> is another, e.g., Xft is notoriously slow).  Older versions of rxvt
> would stop refreshing while they were getting input, and then paint
> the final screen (usually faster, but with some drawbacks).

I did give some thought to fonts, but was unsure of just how to be
thorough.  So, what I did was try various fonts other than the default
that I use, i.e. Terminus.  I tried fixed, 7x14, 10x20 and a couple of
others that seemed obvious.  None of this had any noticeable impact,
btw.  Of course, I am not sure about things like Xft, and how to
bypass that.  My fonts are basically the default setup for Debian
Etch, as I have never had the wherewithal to start messing with that
can of worms.  I can remember some real hairpullers trying to get
decent fonts in Slackware which I would not want to relive. ;-)

> --
> Thomas E. Dickey
> http://invisible-island.net
> ftp://invisible-island.net