Re: Resurrecting ancient IOMEGA ZIP drive

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:31:25AM +0200, Daniel Haude wrote:

> for one last time I wanted to set in motion my old, parallel-port
> IOMEGA Zip Drive to back up my stack of disks before I retire (read:
> dump in the trash) the whole shebang for good.
>
> I think the proper driver is ppa. I connected everything but nothing
> happens. "Happens" in the sense that anything gets added in
> the /dev/disks/ directory tree when I insert a disk in the drive. I
> tried "rmmod"ing all parallel port-related modules and modprobing only
> ppa, but no change. The module loaded without error though.
>

> Here's some modprobe output, if it is of any interest:
>
> kir:/dev# modprobe -v ppa
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-k7/kernel/drivers/parport/parport.ko
> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-k7/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.ko
> ppa: Version 2.07 (for Linux 2.4.x)
> pnp: Device 00:0a activated.
> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP,DMA]

I have an IDE zip on each of my boxes.  It uses the ide-floppy module.
Since I'm using Etch with udev it gets inserted automatically.  What
happens if you have the drive attached with a disk in it when you boot?
Check the dmesg.

AIUSI, the parport isn't necessarily hotplugging your Zip drive; udev
isn't seeing the device.

Doug.