Re: size of partitions worries me

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:41:58PM -0700, Dino Vliet wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I've managed to install debian etch on my amd64 system
> which I dualboot with FreeBSD. I installed it on a
> 57GB partition.
>
> I've chosen to let the installer recommend the
> partitions and their sizes and the result is:
>
> Bestandssysteem       Grtte Gebr Besch Geb%
> Aangekoppeld op
> /dev/sda2             259M  120M  126M  49% /
> tmpfs                 1,5G     0  1,5G   0%
> /lib/init/rw
> udev                   10M  100K   10M   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 1,5G     0  1,5G   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda9              41G  223M   39G   1% /home
> /dev/sda8             373M   11M  343M   3% /tmp
> /dev/sda5             4,6G  1,7G  2,7G  39% /usr
> /dev/sda6             2,8G  836M  1,8G  32% /var
>
> Epecially the size of the / partition worries me
> because I had the experience that in another os
> (ubuntu breezer) it filled up quickly.
>
> So what do you recommend? Should I reinstal and change
> the partition sizes? I will use it as a desktop pc, so

/ may be a bit small.  It mostly gets added to when you install or
update a kernel as all the libs go in /lib.  However, my / is 256 MB and
has been fine with a kernel update.  I didn't watch df during it but
right now I have 130 MB used.  /var may be a bit small depending on what
you're doing.  I put backups in /var/local/backup so my /var is 4 GB.
Also, I have /tmp on tmpfs and lots of swap (which never gets used).

Have you considered putting this on LVM so that you can grow as needed?

Doug.