Re: Help setting up network printer

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 11:47:40 -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 09:00:20 -0400, Eric A. Bonney, CPA wrote:
I am trying to setup a Dell Printer on my laptop that is being shared from an XP Pro desktop. The printer does work fine locally on the desktop and wirelessly from another WinXP Pro laptop. I am trying to add the printer using Printers off the Kmenu->Settings. I know the name of the computer that it is being shared from and I know the shared name of the printer from the XP desktop. I have tried scanning the network but my laptop comes back every time with nothing found.

[...]

As it turns out...I didn't have the smbclient installed. I thought since I was able to get access to the shares on the XP machine for file that everything was working. So I now have the client running and I can see the printer. The issue I am having now is authentication. If I do the above command and provide the password I get a nice detailed list of all the items that are available from the machine, printer included. When I run the KDE Printer setup wizard everything goes just fine. Then at the last step it asks for authorization and I type in the exact same username and password that I used in the command line and it fails. I have verified the username and passwords on the desktop and they work fine when logging in there. Any other suggestions?

That is unfortunately a bit confusing about the whole KDE printer setup
process: You may have to provide authentication credentials twice. The
first ones that you are asked are the ones needed to access the printer
on the server. (The XP machine in your case.) These will be saved and
used whenever you print something. To save the configuration data on the
Linux machine, however, you need to provide sufficient local (Linux)
credentials. You could use your root account and password for that, but
it is better if you add your normal (Linux) user to the "lpadmin" group.

To add your user to the lpadmin group, become root and run

adduser eric lpadmin

(Replace "eric" as is appropriate, of course.)

After that you should be able to complete the setup without having to
provide local credentials (since you are already logged in as "eric" and
"eric" is now allowed to act as an "lpadmin").

Report back if it does not work like that. (I might have forgotten some
detail.)

Thank you thank you thank you! :) Finally got it working. Maybe an email is due to the KDE Print Team to make the message boxes a little bit more informative. I had no idea that when it was asking me twice for the credentials that it was asking me once for the local ones. Thanks again for everyones help and patience with this today. Now on to my next project. :D

-Eric