Re: network interfaces fail to start on boot

haha... I found out why I need to manually start my interfaces :)

the init script /etc/init.d/networking is missing !

still, udev tries bringing up the two physical interfaces if they're
set as allow=hotplug - but there's a line

wait_for_lo

in /lib/udev/net.agent which means that no physical interface can be
enabled as long as the loopback device is down.

aptitude reinstall netbase, problem solved :)

thanks for the help,
- Dave.

On 5/21/07, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:37:34AM +0200, David Fuchs wrote:

Putting this back on list.

> On 5/21/07, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:58:27PM +0200, David Fuchs wrote:
> >> hi all,
> >>
> >> I just installed Etch on a system with 3 network interfaces: eth0,
> >> eth1, lo. all network interfaces are configured as auto in
> >> /etc/network/interfaces.
> >>
> >> for some reason, the interfaces all fail to start on boot. I have to
> >> manually run ifup -a for them to work. how can I fix this?
> >
> >Can you please post your /etc/network/interfaces and the output of
> >'dmesg | grep eth0'
>
> # dmesg | grep eth
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x400, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, IRQ 18
> eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type `RTL 8139C`
> eth1: VIA Rhine II at 0x18400, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, IRQ 20
> eth1 MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 01e1 Link 45e1

This looks good, but you could try to have a look through the entire
dmesg, maybe you can spot something.

> <interfaces>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> iface eth1 inet static
>    address 10.0.0.11
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    network 10.0.0.0
>    broadcast 10.0.0.255
>    gateway 10.0.0.111
>    dns-nameservers 10.0.0.111
>    dns-search domain.com
>
> auto eth0
> auto eth1
>
> </interfaces>

Looks ok to me. You could also enable bootlog in /etc/default/bootlogd
This will keep the boot messages (which are different then dmesg/syslog)
and maybe you can spot something which you are missing at boottime.

> >> another nuisance: every 20 minutes, some process prints "-- MARK --"
> >> to the console. I've never seen this before on any system - what is
> >> this about?
> >
> >That's strange. I know syslog prints this in /var/log/syslog if there's
> >nothing (notable) happening on your computer, but it shouldn't go to the
> >console. Did you change anything from the default setup?
>
> nope. it's a completely pristine installation.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)