Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:57:42AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
Joey is, I believe, referring to a healthy level of off-topic
discussions on *any* list, not to creating a specific area for
"off-topic" messages. For the messages to be "social lubricant", they
need to be *interspersed* with the on-topic discussions in a way that
doesn't detract from the discussions.

If the volume of messages in an off-topic thread is large enough that
an entire separate list is being considered, the off-topic diversion
is already beyond the level Joey describes as "social lubricant" and
into the level of disruptive noise.

So people who "know" each other for years on this list are condemned to keep discussions (mostly) on-topic or leave the forum? How is this benefic to the community?
Especially when you take a look at the archives and notice that some of those protesting the most contribute very little technically, while those they complain about post very useful information - after looking through Roberto's posts, I conclude that anybody who killfiles him is simply an idiot (and that the person who recently said he was doing so - not naming any names - hasn't posted an answer to a substantive question in at least 3 months).