Re: running qemu on an AMD64 box to host Windows 98......

Michael Fothergill wrote:
>> From: "Michael G. Hansen" <mikeml2@pfna.de>
>> Michael Fothergill wrote:
>> > 2. You need a blank disk image ("harddisk"). This is like adding a
>> blank
>> > disk to the virtual computer that QEMU creates. Use qemu-img to
>> create a
>> > 3Gb blank disk image:
>> >
>> > qemu-img create -f qcow c.img 3G
>
> I ran this and it seemed to work OK.....
>> > 3. When you install an OS on a real computer you normally boot an
>> > installation CD/DVD or an existing image. We'll do the same with the
>> > virtual computer. Here you have two options: Either you use a real
>> > installation CD/DVD or you have an install ISO image. Depending on
>> this,
>> > the next steps are slightly different.
>> >
>> > * If you have an installation CD, put the CD (e.g. Windows installation
>> > CD) into the real CD drive of your host computer. Then run
>> > qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda c.img -m 256 -boot d
>
> I ran this command next and I got the QEMU error
>
> The CD player fired up for a while and then I got the following:
>
> CDROM boot failure code 0004
>
> could not read from boot disk
>
> N.B. my hard disk is /hdb1.  There is no /hda on my machine.... Could
> that be a problem?

-hda c.img means that qemu should use c.img as the drive for hda and has
nothing to do with the device-names of your hard-disk. (See man qemu)
However, it does look for a bootable cd in /dev/cdrom (-cdrom
/dev/cdrom) Did you insert a bootable CD into your drive? If you did and
it did not work, try creating an image of the CD (e.g. with K3B) and
then try booting that using -cdrom name_of_image.iso

>> You may want to consider installing kqemu as well. It is a kernel-module
>> that speeds up the emulation significantly, however you have to built
>> parts of it yourself (just like the nvidia-driver, in case you have done
>> that before).
>
> Is that why there is no package in Synaptic for kqemu? Do I have to
> compile it from source or something?
KQemu used to be proprietary and was thus not in Debian. But as of
version 1.3.0-pre11 it is under the GPL and it is in lenny/sid. You can
also grab it from http://www.qemu.org There is a binary in the package
and a wrapper around it which has to be compiled so it matches your
kernel. I don't know how to do that the debian-way though, so you might
want to ask others on this list :-)

Greetings,
Mike

--