Re: running qemu on an AMD64 box to host Windows 98......

From: "Michael G. Hansen" <mikeml2@pfna.de>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: running qemu on an AMD64 box to host Windows 98......
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 18:33:45 +0200

Michael Fothergill wrote:

> The instructions for a 32 bit i386 Linux host guesting what I assume is
> 32 bit Windows taken from the quick start pages from the qemu web pages
> are as follows:
>
> ************************************
>
> Windows guest on Linux host
>
> 1. Download QEMU Binary distribution for linux-i386 and install it.
> Installation is simply done by extracting the contents of the tar
> archive in root directory ("/"). It will extract its contents to
> /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share.
>
> (In Debian I will just install the qemu package with synaptic).
Exactly.

> 2. You need a blank disk image ("harddisk"). This is like adding a blank
> disk to the virtual computer that QEMU creates. Use qemu-img to create a
> 3Gb blank disk image:
>
> qemu-img create -f qcow c.img 3G

I ran this and it seemed to work OK.....

> The last argument is the size of the image (3G). This 3G will be the
> maximum end size of the image file. It will grow while adding contents
> (writing files to the harddisk). A fresh WinXP installation will use
> e.g. ~1.7Gb. For more information on creating a blank image see Disk
> Images.
>
> 3. When you install an OS on a real computer you normally boot an
> installation CD/DVD or an existing image. We'll do the same with the
> virtual computer. Here you have two options: Either you use a real
> installation CD/DVD or you have an install ISO image. Depending on this,
> the next steps are slightly different.
>
> * If you have an installation CD, put the CD (e.g. Windows installation
> CD) into the real CD drive of your host computer. Then run

> qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda c.img -m 256 -boot d

I ran this command next and I got the QEMU error

The CD player fired up for a while and then I got the following:

CDROM boot failure code 0004

could not read from boot disk

N.B. my hard disk is /hdb1. There is no /hda on my machine.... Could that be a problem?

Comments appreciated

Regards

Michael Fothergill

> Would these commands work OK in the AMD64 world?

Yes, they are exactly the same.

--
Michael Hansen - http://www.pfna.de/
Monheim / Germany