Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Mumia W.. wrote:
[...]
> I think that it's best to state a policy against off-topic posts, but
> any enforcement is not a good idea.
> [...]

This sounds very sensible. Start at the root of the problem and have a stated
policy so that everyone knows where they are. Without a policy, there will
always be disagreement about what constitutes OT and what is, or is not, acceptable.

> The best way to deal with the OT posts is for someone to, from time to
> time, remind people in an OT thread what the list policy is.

Yes, no need to be heavy-handed, just point them politely in the right direction.

> Also, I believe that the convention of putting [OT] in the subject line
> has tremendous value, and the policy might make mention of that
> convention.

The policy might also mention other tags eg [SOLVED].

--
Chris.