Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Saturday 19 May 2007, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 11:43:08PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > IMAP is better by many measures.  However, if you do not require
> > > access to your mail from multiple computers or multiple mail
> > > clients, then POP is perfectly fine.
> >
> > I think you missed Amy's point. It's great that there are
>
> No, you *clearly* missed my point.  I was specifically addressing the
> technical aspects of IMAP vs POP from a user point of view.  That is
> why I changed the subject like so:

Then you missed the overall point, the human point, of the matter.  IMAP
may be better, but for many people, they have a lot more to do than to
continually adapt their systems and deal with downloading headers
first, then deleting, or using other work arounds.  The issue of IMAP
vs. POP was yours and yours alone and was a technical point that was in
response to a larger issue.

>  efficient retrieval of POP mail [WAS: Re: rampant offtopic and
>  offensive posts to debian-user]
>
> Of course, you conveniently changed it back!

No.  You sidetracked the discussion then blamed him for sticking with
the original topic.  I won't debate you farther on this, since that
will lead to delving into endless details that will keep it going
forever.  I'm just making the original point that the discussion was on
dealing with OT posts, not on IMAP vs. POP.  The one question cannot be
answered if other points not related to the direct issue keep creating
longer discussions.

> The point that I was trying to make was that someone who is stuck
> with (for whatever reason) a provider who provides POP and does not
> provide IMAP need not despair, as there are technical solutions which
> allow POP users to gain some of the same benefits which IMAP users
> enjoy.

And some people don't have time to make all the adjustments.  Some of us
have real lives to integrate in with our time doing admin work and
can't spend forever on workarounds to problems that should be handled
in other ways in the first place.

Hal