Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Saturday 19 May 2007 16:05, Gnu_Raiz wrote:
> I think it's a valid solution just because it does not fit into your
> solution doesn't mean it's not a valid solution.  Like I mentioned before
> censorship is not the answer, why not just killfile the people you
> dislike, and go on about your duties.

You are misrepresenting the issues.  The actual question is how to
improve the list.  Banishment of persistent OT posters - punishment
not censorship - is but one of the possible solutions being considered.

Furthermore, killfiles do nothing to prevent garbage from entering our
searchable mailing list archives.  Killfiles do not reduce archive
pollution, and killfiles do nothing to dispell the false impression that
most Debian folk are arrogant, self-opinionated, and incredibly naive.

> I personally think that everyone has a right to post, and who am I to tell
> someone else not to exercise their right to freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech does not encompass shouting in libraries or covering
other peoples' property with graffiti.  Nor does it protect those who
would spew political garbage into a forum for debian issues.

This list is in a very real sense communal property.  It is being
ruined by neophytes who post here because they would be laughed out of
the forums of real economists, political analysts, and policy wonks.

Lest there be any confusion, off-topic posts from the reality-based end
of the political spectrum (or anywhere in between) are also unacceptable.

> I personally like some of Roberto's posts I find his reasoning to be very
> will thought out.

I disagree, but the point is irrelevant.

> I for one would miss his helpful on topic posts to new members.

With Roberto in their killfiles, how are "new members" to see his on
topic posts?  Is ploughing through recycled polemics the price to be
paid by "new members" for Debian tech support?

--Mike Bird