Re: amarok / libgpod destroys iPod playlists

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 15:56 +0200, Jörg Becker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem using my iPod with amarok from etch. Whenever I use the iPod
> with amarok I loose the contents of all my iPod playlist except the first
> one. I can see the playlists within the iPod, but they are empty.
>
> It seems to be a libgpod0 problem. When I use my iPod in the office (suse
> 10.2, libgpod0.4.0) I did not have this problem.
>
> I found packages for libgpod0.4.0 and libgpod0.4.2 in unstable/experimental.
> But a 'sudo apt-get -s -t unstable install amarok' shows, that many important
> packages will be upgraded or removed. So I decided to backport
> amarok/libgpod.

Good thing. The problem with installing Lenny/Sid packages into Etch is
glibc has changed. Those build will force an upgrade to them and
basically make your Etch install bad.

> Is there any advice how to build an amarok not destroying iPod playlists? Is
> it possible to build libgpod0.4.2 from unstable without problems for etch. Is
> it sufficient to rebuild amarok from etch sources with libgpod0.4.2 or must I
> recompile some other things? Is it possible to compile amarok 1.4.5 from
> unstable sources for etch (without recompiling other kde parts)?
>
> Or much easier: Is there any other solution for my problem? Or has already
> anybody a backported amarok/libgpod or is such one planed for etch-backports
> in the near future?

"apt-get source" the files and backport them yourself. It really isn;t
that hard. You just will have to tweak the requirements and build setup
in the debian directory there... oh and any code the fails to build.

I've done it many times, though not recently. I just run Sid.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05