Re: video overlay on external display with Radeon Mobility M6 LY

martin f krafft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to hook a Sony Vaio running Debian lenny with a Radeon
> Mobility M6 LY to a projector to demonstrate some animations, using
> the xv extension.
>
> The basic device section in xorg.conf, as autodetected, is:
>
>   Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Generic Video Card"
>     Driver      "radeon"
>     BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>   EndSection
>
> This causes the screen to be cloned to the external display, but any
> window in which xv is being used is just blue (which is the
> projector default/null colour) on the external display.

I had/have the same problem with my Thinkpad R51

16:21:04-jw@johannes2:~$ lspci |grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250
[Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

The proprietary OS on that computer had the inverse problem, ie. the
movie/animation was just displayed on the projector, not on the lcd
display.

I figured at the time that it is possibly a hardware problem, ie. that
the graphics card cannot resize a moving picture instantly to the 1400
resolution of the lcd and the 1024 resolution of the projector and
didn't persue this further. Maybe I am wrong.

> Using OpenGL as the output driver works. Unfortunately¸ the
> programme I have to use does not support OpenGL, only xv.
>
> I get the same results using "ati" as Driver instead of "radeon".
>
> After searching the web, I tried using the "OverlayOnCRTC2" option,
> but apparently that's not in use anymore:
>
>   (WW) RADEON(0): Option "OverlayOnCRTC2" is not used
>
> I managed to use xvattr to switch the overlay between the two
> screens but I wonder whether it would be possible to get overlay on
> *both*n screens?

I should have known about xvattr then, in order to at least have the
movie show up on the right display. How did you use xvattr to switch the
display?

Thanks,

Johannes