Re: [etch] apt_preferences issues

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 17:18:32 +0200, jakub AT ifmpan DOT poznan DOT pl wrote:
> hi all!
> Can some one explain to me how /etc/apt/preferences file works? In order
> to improve the performance of my etch box i downloaded src packages of few
> programs and recompiled them (the debian way) useing my own cflags. Now
> after instalation of those recompiled packages I have a problem to keep
> them that way. My first guess is pinning... but... here is my preferences
> file:
>
> Package: conky
> Pin: version 1.4.4-1
> Pin-Priority: 1001
> Package: enlightenment-data
> Pin: version 0.16.7.2-5
> Pin-Priority: 1001

[...]

> and after apt-get upgrade I get:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   enlightenment enlightenment-data
>   conky gimp gimp-data gimp-dbg gimp-helpbrowser gimp-python gimp-svg
>   libgimp2.0 libgimp2.0-dev libgimp2.0-doc libsmbclient
> 11 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Need to get 9441kB/20.0MB of archives.
> After unpacking 1229kB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> libsmbclient isn't on my "hold" list and qingy isn't in the stable repos
> so it won't get upgreaded any way.
>
> But what I can't understand is why enlightenment and enlightenment-data
> are being kept back and the rest is not??
>
> I googled out some how-to's about apt and tried different values of
> Pin-Priority with no luck. I just cant hold all the packages I wish.
>
> Can any one plese tell me what am I missing?

You are missing the blank lines to separate the records:

$ man apt_preferences | awk '/Effect/,/^$/'
   The Effect of APT Preferences
       The APT preferences file allows the system administrator to control the
       assignment of priorities. The file consists of one or more multi-line
       records separated by blank lines. Records can have one of two forms, a
       specific form and a general form.

If it still does not work with separated records then you should post
the output of e.g.

apt-cache policy gimp

          Florian   |