Re: how to clear mbr

Serena Cantor wrote:
I am installing Win2k, which will co-exist with sarge
I believe sarge install lilo at mbr, this cause trouble for win2k's installation.
So I should clear mbr.

which linux command should I use?

It's not a linux command, but a DOS command, "fdisk /mbr" (or something similar). This disables lilo from starting when booting on that drive. Then after installing NT/2k you could either set up the either NT/2k boot program or lilo/grub to dual boot, whichever you prefer. Before setting up dual booting, you would have to use lilo on another boot device to run the degian, so I don't recommend this approach.

A better alternative may be to first set up lilo to boot Debian from another device or partition. Then when you install NT/2k you can still boot Debian, and you also have the option of using the BIOS boot menu (typically started by pressing on of the function keys), in addition to the option of setting up dual booting later.

Whatever you decide, it's a good idea to completely back up all your partitions before starting.