Re: Typing an '@' symbol on an Apple keyboard

Joe Hart wrote:

Matthias Brennwald (bwm) wrote:

Greg Folkert wrote:

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 08:45 +0200, Matthias Brennwald (bwm) wrote:

Dear all

I'm a complete newbie, and I'm not sure which mailing list is the
best to post my question (I posted this to debian-user and
debian-powerpc).

I successfully installed Debian 4.0 / Etch on my Apple PowerBook G4.
I managed to setup my (external/USB) Apple keyboard with a
Swiss-German keymap. However, I could not figure out how to produce
an '@' symbol... in Mac OS X I press 'Option-g' to type an '@', but
that does not work in Linux / Debian. Any hints?

Umm, did you try the obvious one?

SHIFT-2 (the 2 above the qwerty keys)?

Yes, I did. On the Apple keyboard, Shift-2 is mapped to something else
than '@' (propably '"', but I am not sure because at the moment I'm in

That sounds like a "minimum keyboard", IOW, one which uses the shift
key just to set/clear bits in the ASCII code. Old ADM terminals were
like that. The ADM-1 was, anyway. I don't recall the key now. But
from looking at the ASCII chart, I suggest you try SHIFT-`
(that's SHIFT-GRAVE_ACCENT, which may be below the tilde (~) on
your keyboard). On such keyboards, SHIFT just clears bit 0x20.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.