disappearing files

I'm thinking I didn't get enough sleep.

I have /usr mounted ro. I guess the security should be better.

Anyhow anytime I want to install or change an executable I go to single
user mode (init 1), mount it rw, make the changes, then remount again
and go to runlevel 2.

Specifically I added some programs to /usr/local/bin. After going back
into runlevel 2 I did some other work and finally got around to looking
for them to use. /usr/local/bin was empty. (here's where I'm rubbing my
eyes)

So I go back to runlevel 1, remount rw, and then they are there again.
I remount ro, init 2, and now I can see them.

This is ext3 filesystems on i386 with the latest etch distro.

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/