Re: Looking for Suggestions for a Headless Music-Client Setup (SOLVED)

I found a simple solution for my application:

1. I use kdm with autologin.  That starts KDE with a user set up to autorun
amarok and x11vnc -many, without any intervention on boot.  It does this with
a script in  ~/.kde/Autorun.  I'm not worried about security in my LAN which
is behind a firewall and not open to outside access.

2. I use the following in xorg.conf to allow X to start without a keyboard or
mouse attached.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
Option "AllowKeyboardOpenFail"
EndSection

The box boots and I can access the desktop with a VNC client from anywhere in
the LAN and play music from amarok onto my stereo.

I still need to find a decent USB-WLAN NIC for the box.  It's a mini-pc and
doesn't have a pci slot.  Any suggestions there?  A USB-Stick using the
zd1211rw module didn't work reliably.

Chris

--
C. Hurschler