Re: Slow DNS Lookups on Debian Etch AMD 64

On 5/11/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:37:07PM -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:41:59AM -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm getting terrible DNS lookup performance on my Debian Etch system.
> >> I've installed the "Etch" - Official Beta amd64 version.
> >
> >What is an official beta of Etch which is the current Stable?
>
> Sadly, after upgrading to 4.0 r0 I am still experiencing the slow DNS
> lookups.
>
> This is what's in my sources.list file:
>
> debian:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official amd64 DVD
> Binary-1 20070407-12:15]/ etch contrib main

You should add on lines after that lines that point to your mirror of
choice.  Mine (in Canada) is:

deb http://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

This ensures that you get the most up-to-date packages within Etch
(stable).

And if you want:

deb http://debian-multimedia.org etch main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main \
contrib non-free

I've added these lines and downloaded the latest updates.  Still I
have incredibly slow DNS lookups.  Like I mentioned earlier, this is
definitely not happening in Windows Vista which runs on the same
machine from a different drive/partition.

Once the DNS lookup completes, things seem pretty fast.  I'm not sure
where else to look at this point.