Re: CD/DVD Drive Problems (Etch 4.0)

On 5/11/07, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 02:25:33PM -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> I just installed Debian Etch 4.0 on to a machine that has a NEC CDROM
> / DVD RW drive, and unfortunately it is having problems finding the
> cdrom drive.
>
> I noticed this when I tried to install a package such as:
>
> debian:~# apt-get install kernel-package
>
> It prompted to insert the DVD ISO that I used to install with:
>
> MEDIA CHANGE: please insert the disc labeled
>  'Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_- Official amd64 DVD Binary-1
> 20070407-12:15' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter
>
> When I insert the DVD into the drive and press enter, the same message
> is repeated as if nothing is recognized.

I think this is a know issue with cdrom/dvd drives and apt-get. Maybe
trying to use apt-cd will help by re-adding the dvd?

I fooled around with apt-cdrom and tried to re-add the dvd, but didn't
seem to work.  I tried manually re-mounting the hde device to
/media/cdrom and that did seem to work -- but it was mounted only for
the duration of the apt-get install and then strangely it unmounted
itself.   VERY ANNOYING!!

Thanks for the help.