Re: suggestions for window manager

On 5/10/07, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> low-resource: box only has 64 MB available.
> Rock solid stable.  A focus on good design and being bug-free over
> adding 'features'.

This is pretty much a matter of taste.  For light WMs, the ones I've
tried and heard of are:

fluxbox
icewm
pekwm
fvwm(#)

I've read through this list fvwm is pretty light and manageable once
one learns how to configure it properly (fvwm2 was the default at
work, and for remote work I found fluxbox lighter, so I dropped fvwm,
it might have been not having the right configuration, and I didn't
like it that much to continue trying), however for out of the box
pretty light and easy tocustomize I'd say fluxbox is the one I prefer.
I tried icewm, but I got back to fluxbox since when compiling on
machines where I don't have root permissions it has less dependencies,
and I honestly liked it better.  I also tried pekwm, and I liked it at
the instant I used it, pretty light as well if not lighter, however it
doesn't natively include toolbar, so one needs to install a separate
toolbar application, which is OK, but then the combination might not
be as light as one integrated thing.

There are tons of other options (some already mentioned in this
thread), and you can find out only by trying them.  I've always gone
back to fluxbox though, :).

--
Javier