Re: Issues with external HD, changed to read-only

Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
I have an external hard drive that for some reason in the last couple of days was changed to a read-only file system. I have looked at /etc/fstab and the drive is being mounted correctly as rw. I have looked at the permissions of the drive and they all seem correct also. Even if I am logged in as su, I am not able to delete any files on the drive.

Are other partitions (if any) on the same drive affected?

Either way, you will probably find some useful hints in your system logs - searching for /dev/sdx (or whatever your device your drive shows up
as) should do the trick. You might have to back a couple of days though.

Which file system are you running? Some (most?) file systems will switch back to read-only mode if they discover some corruption. If this is the case, you should umount(1) it and run fsck on it before re-mounting...

Is there a way to change this so that the drive works correctly? All the other drives are working properly, just not this one.

Depends on what has gone wrong. Probably yes.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help folks, as it turns out the drive as bad. It was an old drive and I guess it finally died. Good thing I didn't have anything on it that was important.

-Eric