Re: Issues with external HD, changed to read-only

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> I have an external hard drive that for some reason in the last couple of
> days was changed to a read-only file system.  I have looked at
> /etc/fstab and the drive is being mounted correctly as rw.  I have
> looked at the permissions of the drive and they all seem correct also.
> Even if I am logged in as su, I am not able to delete any files on the
> drive.

Are other partitions (if any) on the same drive affected?

Either way, you will probably find some useful hints in your system logs
- searching for /dev/sdx (or whatever your device your drive shows up
as) should do the trick. You might have to back a couple of days though.

Which file system are you running? Some (most?) file systems will switch
back to read-only mode if they discover some corruption. If this is the
case, you should umount(1) it and run fsck on it before re-mounting...

> Is there a way to change this so that the drive works correctly?  All
> the other drives are working properly, just not this one.

Depends on what has gone wrong. Probably yes.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/