Re: suggestions for window manager

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:45:16PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> There are a lot of window managers available (too many to download and
> test them all over a slow dial up link) and I'm looking for suggestions.
>
> Here's what I want:
>

> low-resource: box only has 64 MB available.
> 	Most of the time, x apps are run via ssh to my main Athlon64
> 	box.
>
> Rock solid stable.  A focus on good design and being bug-free over
> adding 'features'.
>
> A little panel with a clock and buttons for frequently used apps
> preferably with a little helper to set up or a very simple config file.
>
> A place for minimized windows to go that displays their current title.
> E.g. if Konquorer's download manager (all via ssh) is busy, it puts its
> percent complete in the title.  Having a little panel for these makes it
> easy to keep track of progress.
>
> Window resizing, minimizing, maximizing, shading.
>
> I used to use icewm but the configuration and menu-editing apps don't
> seem to be in etch.  I've tried xfce4 but it seems to use too many
> resources.  I've also had it die periodically.
>
> Uses easy to read fonts.
>
> What I don't want is:
> 	On one hand, gradients, graphics everywhere, tiny icons that
> 	I can't see, and bells and whistles.
>
> 	On the other hand, something that needs keyboard commands I
> 	can't remember, configuration only via a complicated config
> 	file.
>
> Questions this generates:
>
> While a workstation/desktop can tolerate restarting X without much fuss,
> someone running a cluster of computers from a main console with lots of
> xterms needs a solid window manager.  IBM has is Hardware Management
> Console (which I think runs either OS/2 or AIX) and Cray has Console
> Workstation.  What do debian people use who need a solidly reliable X
> setup?
>
> Thanks for your ideas.
>
> Doug.

WindowMaker should be able to handle this workload. It's pretty nice,
easy to configure (Granted you installed the wmakerconf package), and
all in all very fast. I've had no problems with it, and I've been using
it exclusively now for two months.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative